On 30 May 1909, Sri Aurobindo gave a famous speech (Sanatana Dharma) at Uttarpara.
Uttarpara (Ootarpara), a small town on the banks of river Hooghly (a narrow stretch of 2-Km land), 22°40' N, 88°22' E, to the north from Calcutta. At 1704 AD — a Zaminder of famous Sabarnya Chowdhury clan, Shri Ratenswar Roychowdhury left his ancestral village for a new residence on the banks of river Hooghly — Ootarpara. In those days, village Ootarpara was northern part of village Bally (in Bengali, Ootarpara literally means Northern Part). Ootarpara, in those days was marshland — bereft of decent human settlement. Only fishermen of Patni, Malo castes and a few Muslims lived there. The compulsion of Kaulinya system made Ratneswar, who was a Brahmin, to bring other Brahmin families for matrimony. Gradually, many Brahmin families migrated and settled at Ootarpara. In the year 1795 Hooghly District was carved out of Burdwon District and Uttarpara came under Hooghly District. The bridge with Kolkata was formally opened for public on 14th February, 1846. 15th May, 1846 Uttarpara Government High School was opened (people of Uttarpara and Bhadrakali collected a fund of Rs. 2000 and Rs. 220 respectively for this purpose). From May 1851 was started hospital. Uttarpara Municipality was formed on 14th April 1853. During the period 1800-1900, this tiny village gradually turned to a small town of 0.8 sq. mile. Uttarpara took prominent role in the struggle for independence during 1900-1947.